I’m excited about the April 4th Easter Sunday worship plans we have made at Skyland UMC. The short version is that we will hold 3 worship services on campus and a livestreamed service of Holy Communion.
- 8:30am Drive-In & Camp Chair Service. This service will be held outdoors. The worship team will set up outside on the garage ramp. Worshippers can bring lawn chairs and sit in the grassy area behind the parking lot or remain in their cars and listen to the FM broadcast.
- 10:00am, and 11:30am in-person worship services in the sanctuary.
- The 10:00am service will also be livestreamed on our YouTube channel.
- 5:00pm Livestreamed Holy Communion
The staff, church leadership, and I are thrilled to be able once again to offer worship on our campus. God is good.
Now for the fine print:
- Social distancing will be maintained at all worship services.
- We will ask for all persons over the age of 2 to wear face masks (even outdoors), and remain six feet away from folks outside of their household.
- The worship services will be 30 minutes long.
- The services are spaced apart in time so that the exit and entrance of congregants are not mixed.
- The congregation will not sing together.
- Reservations are required for any of the three on-campus services.
- We ask that you limit yourself to only one of the three on-campus services.
- Reservation links will be online in the coming days.
- Reservations are required for each vehicle.
- The outdoor service will be limited to 50 vehicles.
- If you make a reservation for the outdoor service and want to sit in the grass, please park away from the garage as a favor to those who will remain in their vehicles.
- In case of rain, service will proceed via FM transmitter. You may, of course, opt to leave your vehicle and enjoy the rain.
- Reservations are required for each household up to 7 people.
- The indoor services will be limited to approximately 50 people.
- The sanctuary doors and windows will be opened throughout worship. Folks will want to check the weather and dress accordingly.
- Indoor seating will preserve 6 feet of social distancing between households.
With the recent developments concerning the dropping rate of COVID-19 cases and the distribution of vaccines, I believe we can safely offer these worship services with your cooperation. In our planning discussions we have opted for precaution and compassion over accommodating every possible worshipper. Our limited reservations are a step better than keeping the building closed, and several steps away from a full house. From a big picture standpoint, it would be a wonderful problem to have if these services fill up and someone is unable to secure a reservation. If you happen to be one of those unable to secure a reservation, please know that you are doing your part for the Skyland family as a whole. I thank you for this potential and peculiar act of grace in advance should you wish to come but reservations are booked up.
Of course, there are some who may wish to come, but still feel uneasy about being in such a public setting. I believe that you have God’s blessing in these days whether you attend worship online or in person. Don’t let guilt enter into your decision. Make your decision one that is life-affirming for yourself, your family, and those around you.
This past year I haven’t had any plans remain constant for more than about 20 minutes. So even if this goes without saying I’ll say it anyway, if changes need to be made to these plans, I will do my best to communicate them to you.
God bless you for making it to the end of this long, wordy explanation of Easter. God bless you for your continued prayers and efforts on behalf of your Church. God bless you as we finish out this Lenten season and prepare ourselves once again for the new life that our Lord offers through his resurrection.